Day one started late as we (Kylie and Ryan actually) had to pick Krista up from Heber where she was attending Girls' camp.
We (Randy, Me and our five youngest children) piled ito the van at about 4 pm and set out for stop #1: Cheyenne, Wyoming (Super 8). Krista drove the first leg (until we reached the Utah/Wyoming border) as she need driving hours toward getting her Driver's License.
I didn't want the kids to spend all the drive time playing or watching "screens" so I came prepared with a few things to do together. I gave the kids their “Journals” with pages telling start, end and sites and states on each day of our trip plus a place to write about the things they liked, funny moments and spiritual moments.
We talked about having a good attitude on the trip. We played a “storytelling” game. I read a few chapters out loud to them.
Then I gave them some balloons to play with. They were kind of creative.
I introduced our trip mascot (a stuffed bear wearing a green Utah Hoodie), an idea that came to me at a toy store on the day before we left!. We spend a couple of days trying to decide what to name him. “Brigham” eventually rose to the top (other possibilities were Hatu –Utah backwards, Mojo, Lorenzo, Moe-cot, Moe-moe). We also picked a word to remind us to be happy: Hubert….
Sites: Little America. We stopped at little America and got to make our own cones! Randy’s totally fell off and Krista’s was leaning precariously so she had to put it in a cup. We laughed a lot as we made our ice creams as big as possible.
We stayed at a Super 8 in Cheyenne that night. It was pretty smoky and tight quarters but we managed.
Our First Day was a success. Very positive. Everyone got along and the time in the car went fast The tone on the first day really lasted throughout our entire trip. Over the next 18 days we were to see many great things but mostly we had a good time together.



No comments:
Post a Comment