2/20/10

Tae Kwon Do Belt Test Day -- A Ringer

We finished what was for me a very grueling morning....a very grueling week, actually.  Our master teacher (Kwangjangnim Jenny) always challenges us to come to testing and put everything out on the floor, physically, spiritually and emotionally.  Today I understood what that felt like. 

First let me say, that I have loved our experience at Omega Martial Arts Studio.  Today, during the oral part of testing, K. Jenny asked me what I have learned so far from my experience at martial arts.  
  • First, I have learned that I can do things I never thought I could do, just by listening, learning and practicing.  When I was a white belt, I felt like a total clutz and remember thinking I'd never be able to do the things I was seeing the higher belts do.  I still feel clutzy but I have actually mastered (or at least I am much better at) some of those things.  
  • Second, I have seen how what we are learning applies to my everyday life and the lives of my children:  it takes practice to master each level in order to move to the next;  you can master anything if you work at it hard enough, there is a peace that comes with showing respect to others,   correction is meant to help and always results in improvement when you apply it,  seize the moment and put all your energy there (this has really helped me at work),  you are responsible for your own energy level and bringing that energy to each situation etc. 
  • Third, it is a great thing to do as a family.  I can't think of anything else where adults and kids all start at the same level:  white belt!   It has been a great bonding thing to do with my kids, my cousins and even our neighbors!   There is quite a strong Omega Family feeling as well.
Having said the above: This test was a really hard one for us.  We were left on our own to practice our material much more than on past ranks.  I required my boys to practice at home and encouraged the Heuer boys to practice but found it difficult to make sure they were doing a good job.  This last week, we really hit it hard and it felt like that's all I was doing in my free time (for me and the boys and I hardly even helped the Heuers which I wanted to do).  It was frustrating, because Brandon, in particular had some difficulty taking corrections with a good attitude and I knew he was going to be in trouble for the test.  

Then test day arrive. 

Low belts started:  My Krista has joined in on the fun of martial arts as of a few  months ago and today was her first "Big" test day--testing for yellow belt.  She is a fast learner and looks really good.   She has really good kicks.  Here are a couple of pictures.
 
 

Caleb who is going from Green Belt  to Green Belt with a Black Stripe also tested with the low belts.  He had a great test today (he didn't pass the last time he tried to earn this rank so I was very proud of him for working hard and coming back to show himself and others that he could do it).


Our neighbor and friend, Michael Hoffman  tested to green belt.  He had his rank skills down well and was named Low-Belt Tester of the Day (his second time winning the award).
 


The low belts went home,  then it was the high belts turn:   Ryan, Austin, Jacob Heuer, Ben Heuer and I were testing to Purple belt.   Here we are lined up. Then our photographer (Randy)  had to leave so these are the only pictures we have of the next three hours!



We went through basics, sport combos, self defense, weapons (bo-staff and sticks), judo falls, forms, and sparring.  We were all trying to do our best.  As I suspected, Brandon had some trouble with details and just general sloppiness.  Austin and Ben also struggled with a few things.  I found myself getting emotionally tied up with the boys.  Brandon was in tears several times.  I got to where I couldn't think because I was feeling so wrung out. (also due to working on TKD all week)  I kept trying to breathe deeply and to focus and trying not to get so tied up with what the boys were doing (it's hard not to!)  Ryan and Jacob were doing quite well (I thought they were both candidates for "Tester of the Day") but as a group (there are actually seven of us at the studio at this rank) we were feeling a little bit chastised and the overall energy was pretty low.

Then it was board breaking time which is the pinnacle of test day (something we don't practice at all beforehand).  A couple of months ago, I decided I would work toward doing a Jump Back Kick because it is a very difficult jump for me to do.  I have been practicing the Back Kick and Jumping Back Kick on our kickpad that we have downstairs almost daily.  Even so,  I didn't feel like I was targeting that well so I wasn't sure I would be able to do it (without hurting the holders anyway)!  My first try I was too far away.  My second try, I missed it to the side.  I said to my teacher, Chungsunim Tim, "Maybe I should do it without the jump" but he said, "No, you have this."   So I got all lined up, thought it through, jumped and broke the board!  It felt great to do it after working on it for so long, and after such a LONG test day! 

When we lined up at the end.  I felt totally worn out and I really did feel like I had left it all on the floor.  Yet, I was still quite surprised when they named me "Tester of the Day".   It really meant something to me.  I hoped my boys could see that practice really does make a difference.  Here's my award:  a patch I get to wear on the shoulder of my dobok (uniform): 


After a Belt test, we always go out to lunch:  Here are the boys  (Krista, Randy and I went to the healthier restaurant "Zupa's" across the parking lot! Caleb arrived after I took this picture).
Next test will be for blue belt.  for the boys and I.  At the test we have to perform ALL of our previous rank material perfectly!  (White, white with yellow stripe, yellow with white stripe, yellow, yellow with black stripe, green, green with black stripe and purple).  This could be three months down the road but we'd have to work really hard to be ready that soon. 


Next test for Krista is yellow belt with a black stripe and she could do it as soon as next month.

5 comments:

Katrina said...

Way to go! Cool post! You really were all TKD this part week and I'm glad it paid off! You deserve it! And hopefully the boys learn and appreciate all your hard work! Love You! Congrats again to all of you!

Kylie said...

Awesome! But if Krista ever kicks me or uses that stuff on me... she's going down! And She'll regret it! Haha! Love you!

Jenny Jarvis-Albrethsen said...

Martial Arts, like everything else, has it's ups and downs... but in the end, you gain so much. We are grateful and happy the Moe's are a part of our school! Especially you!

Tami said...

This is GREAT! The pictures, the experience, everything! Sounds like all your hard work paid off. Looks like I won't have to go very far to find a bodyguard!! Way to go, everyone!

Just Only Me said...

That's a lot of belts!!! You guys have a rainbow going on. How cool is that? Thanks for reminding me that if you work hard enough at something, you'll MASTER it. Hopefully I can master exercising. Sometimes I HATE and LOATHE it and sometimes I love it!

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones